Monday, August 2, 2010

When should you STOP giving advice to a friend?


I personally find myself playing therapist to all my friends to and I love it!! I mean nothing validates that you are giving a great unbiased advice except when the residual calls from your friends crying, turmoiled and angry coming pouring in. To me its a privilege to counsel someone when they are at their worst (Hops off my high horse). But when do you stop? I mean we all want to help out loved ones, co-workers and friends but how do we recognize when we're not enough and help them see it too?

So I rifled through my mental roll-a-deck and came across this heading "You get me once shame on you, you get me twice shame on me" here I found some instances when i learned to  just stop.

  • When your advice is falling on deaf ears. Sometimes people seek us out for advice  and then don't take it no matter how good it is  WHY? Because its not what they want to hear. This person is gonna do what they want to and it will be told to them by someone telling them what they WANT to hear not by you. So save your breathe and if not, then you will find yourself constantly saying I told you so which can cause resentment.
  • When the person can't form an opinion unless being told their opinion a.k.a. A Follower. If your gonna give advice/opinion to someone like this understand when it doesn't pan out ( and it wont because it never does for a follower) its gonna be your fault.
  • Check this scenario Friend of yours complains to you about a friend of theirs ( you don't know them  that well) They take your advice in regards to the other person and then they tell the other person everything you said and none of the negative things they said!
  • If a person says "Why did I listen to you?" A lot is to be said for someone when they can't be responsible for their own actions after being given an opinion/advice. Again a trait of a follower. NEVER give this person again even if they are asking if they should breathe.
  • Your constantly cursing out your friends Bf/Gf for how crappy they treat your friend. Then the next week there they are back together AGAIN. Let me make this clear their boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't care about you or what you think of them or anything for that matter. They will be there until your friend, family etc decides otherwise. Further more if your friend is always complaining about their Gf/Bf just tell them to Take a shit or get up off the toilet. I mean why complain when we all know u ain't goin nowhere!!    
I could go on and on about when to stop but ultimately you know when its time to let the bird spread its wings and fly.Deep down we all probably know when but there's always that hope that this time they will listen. As far as making them realize that you can't help them ...  it ain't nothing but a word. By that I mean saying something like this "Look I love u and I empathize with you but, its clear I can't help you with your situation anymore." Just those words alone would send a resonance through my body that would really make me step back and re-evaluate my life. Feel free to take my advice about advising but if it doesn't work out don't blame me!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment